Monday, April 28, 2014

4/30/14 - Salesmen or Latter-Day Saints?



4/30/14

   "Yea, whosoever will thrust in his sickle and reap, the same is called of God... Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich... Behold, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you; 
and if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation."  I've come to learn that every single missionary will have her own experience. With knocking, with serving, with members, with baptisms. Our experience on a mission is completely individual, but the sanctification process is the same. Heavenly Father knows our passions, our drives, and our desires. 

   It’s been funny, I think I'm going to make a scrap book about the creative ways people drop us. First, we thought the worst way started out with complete silence - we had to drop the cute deaf girl named Sapphyre this week.  But, then we decided cards were the worst. I mean, you can't sugarcoat choosing to return to a more "familiar" church just because you give us a card with hearts and butterflies.  But, then we changed again when we had Ed drop us over the phone. We were bantering about how these people don't have the courage to tell us to our faces.  But, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have people tell me over the phone or in a card then tell us to our face that the Book of Mormon is false. Ouch. Regardless of the fact he said, "we can still come over to share an uplifting thought" with him, it was a heart-breaker when Bill dropped us.

   This week, we taught a lesson with Peter. This was the first lesson really that was led throughout by the spirit. It was not an overbearing "burning of the bosom" or goose bumps down the leg, but it was the most genuine lesson I've had up to this point. We taught him the restoration finally, and it just clicked!   He asked questions and we had the perfect scripture that fit to his understanding, and the whole lesson just clicked. It’s only the #1 in my planner, but that #1 means the world to me. 

   Also, cool random facts about the week:
   -Went on exchanges with the ASL sister missionaries Thurs to Fri. I was with my companion's trainer and a sister training leader in Burbank, and my companion went up to Sylmar with Sis Ingram and the other training leader. Wow. it was an eye opener. They are great sisters. Both the ones I was   
with hit their year mark on Thursday. But, holy tamale, I am sooooo  grateful I am with my sweet companion.
   -So, for patience, my companion is teaching me to knit for our free time (ha, don’t have any! But, it’s a good way to calm the mind at night. So y'all are getting dish rags for Christmas!)
   -I drive my companion crazy cuz I wave to EVERY single person in a car, eye contact or not. Well shazaam, it happens! One car drove back like 4 mins later, said he saw me wave and wanted to see if we were salesmen or Latter-Day Saints. He told us to call him "Brother Scott." He's
moving in a week.   But, it turns out he has a Book of Mormon and we challenged him to take it out of the storage unit and read it, and he said he would call us! Sooo cool. Neat tender mercy for me, to know that just a wave can brighten a day!
   -We're trying to unite the ward along with trying to reactivate some deaf members, so we are starting an ASL class weekly here at the church within the next few weeks. Super stoked!

Love you all and the work goes forth!!

Sister McNeill


No comments:

Post a Comment