Tuesday, August 19, 2014

8/18/14 - New Calling and Transfer to Sylmar



Jess has been transferred to Sylmar and her new address is:  15520 Foothill Blvd #58, Sylmar, CA, 91342.   Thanks for your continued love and support – Michelle

   I’m sure you pieced it together after my frantic emails last Monday, I am out of West Hills.  It is really a special place in my heart, and I cannot wait to come back and visit them after my mission.  You put so much love, so much hard work, sweat and prayers for these people and you can’t help but give them a piece of you when you leave.  I have been called to be a Sister Training Leader in Sylmar.  But, wow, I must tell you I know I’m supposed to be here.  I miss the deaf work, and I thought I would be “stepping down” going into “normal” missionary work… not true.  I had one of the most powerful witnesses from the spirit then I have had my entire life telling me I was to serve in North Hollywood.  President told us today that he put each of our names/prayed about us by name in the temple as Sister Training Leaders.  The spirit was so overwhelming in Transfer meeting on Tuesday – it was so powerful.  God gave me a witness that I did my duty with the deaf, but my mission call, my assignment, my responsibility and my role is far from being over.
   So, my area is Sylmar and my companion’s name is Sister French.  She entered the MTC the same day I did.  She is from Canada and is 25 years old, and we get along great.  Holy cow, did I mention it is hot here?  It’s rained one day in 6 months of serving here.  It’s been a blazing 100 degrees every day, but it’s nice to know that just like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, there’s one more person in the fire with us, so that’s a comforting thought.
   So, funny experiences happening in Sylmar-
We invited 3 people to baptism. The sisters have three investigators that they've been teaching.
Peter- late 20's-in a wheelchair because he was shot at 18 and paralyzed from the waist down. We taught him tithing- he said that 10% didn’t seem like enough to pay back God. He is soooo awesome! Only dilemma holding him back, his family. His family means the world to him, and by going to the "Mormon" church, he feels he is choosing this church over his family.  His main concern is that his family won't go to the celestial kingdom. Ahh! So he knows it’s true, but how do you address a concern like that? hmm....
Ricky- 20-Mexican, came to church this Sunday with his mom. We taught law of chastity/temples. He was almost too straight up about how he's a virgin and how he doesn’t even have the opportunity to break the Law of Chastity... awkward, okay, many times people are way to open... Funny side note, he asked if my CTR ring was a chastity ring. Kinda, I guess... he wants to be baptized, but wants to wait til the end of the year cuz he doesn’t want to add more stress to his life just yet.
Luis- Living currently with our RC Juan- he is hearing though, and wants super bad to be baptized. We are a little hesitant, not quite sure if he is mentally all the way there. But we will continue to teach him and have the Bishop decide for us.
   Church was a funny experience, turns out there is a Sober Community House down the road from the church, and we had 2 people wander into church and sit with us! Some of these people, their brains are just fried from drugs, but the man will be taught by the elders - I think he seemed solid. It’s a crazy (but now normal) background- brother in jail, lost his job, doesn’t have money for rent, lives of food stamps.... man, Cali is crazy, but you find the best people here.
   Seth you'd be so proud- total Nacho Libre Moment:
Knocking, we've hit a ton of spanish people, and two older women invited us to sit outside and have a snack, so we did! We ate corn on the cob, with mexican mayo (it has lime in it), salsa, and coke!! hahaha.
   Coolest experience, working at the Bishop's storehouse. Wow. Dad, if you have any people that won’t pay their tithing, have them serve there for a day.
Love you tons! Hopefully you get the letter soon! I’m excited, I know this is where I’m supposed to be, so I’ll do my best until I find out why.

Love,
Sister McNeill

No comments:

Post a Comment